Welcome!

You have reached the blog of author Jaye Viner. Feel free to wander around and explore, and if you're inspired share whatever comes to mind.

The best way to find us is on Twitter @JayeViner. We'd love to know you here, there, and everywhere.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

11 Questions about the Selves for Readers and Writers

Thanks to Jennifer (see her fantastic blog here) for tagging me in this fun get to know you Q&A. We'll see if the Selves can do as well answering questions! 

1. What literary character (any genre) can you most relate to & why?  Recently Jaye read Night and Day by Virginia Woolf (Click for full thoughts on the book). One of the main characters, Katharine Hilbery, struggles between her desire to study Mathematics or fulfill her normal role in society by getting married and being mistress of a house. While Jaye has never been faced with these decisions, she has a habit of making love as complicated as possible and then some, as does Katharine. 


2. If you could choose between having six months to yourself to pursue your art in a great area with beautiful landscape to write and no worries on money, food, living arrangements but would not be able to have any communication with the outside world whatsoever, would you do it? Jaye, the writer and I all agree we could survive six months alone just fine but we would need to be able to email the library and request books. 


The Russian
3. What do you think is more important: true love or success?  We think true love is the most rare kind of success. 


4. What is usually the first thing you do when you get up in the morning? Jaye pet's her lover's ear. The writer does not 'get up' in the morning. I make the coffee.
 
5. Of all the books pubbed that you have had the pleasure to read which one to you most wish you’d written? Song of the Lark by Willa Cather.

6. Why do you write?  The Russian tells us to. 


7. What is your favourite creative activity that is not writing? We make collages like this one.



8. What is your favorite thing to do before you write? Play spider solitaire. 


9. What is the food/drink item you go to most when stressed/upset/irritated? What is the food/drink item you go to most when happy/exuberant/celebratory? Pepsi and Lindt chocolate bars but never both together. There are degrees of stress and pleasure and the difference between Pepsi and chocolate on any given day is very peculiar. 
 
10. What’s your favourite song right now? Love minus Zero/No Limit by Bob Dylan.

 
11. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Jaye visits Florence frequently and would name her favorite place as the patio across the river at Quattro Leoni eating pear ravioli. The Writer goes wherever she can and finds hidden pleasures everywhere. When left to my own faculties I go to the past and often find myself drifting through the hidden doors.

We are also tagging a random selection from our Writecampaign group. Good luck bloggers. Post a link so we can see your Q&A's too! Yelena Casale, Sarah PearsonSusan Roebuck, Arlee Bird, and Alessandra Hinlo.

Of the 11 questions already posted, here are three alternatives for you to choose from. 1. Jaye wants to know how many fingers/arms/toes/legs you wish you had and what you would do with them? 2. The Writer wishes to inquire what your favorite historical literary character is? A figure from a classic novel set in another time period. 3. I want to know what actor you would chose to play you if you wrote and directed your life in a film?

Ready, set, go!
  

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, color me jealous about Florence. Would LOVE to go there. I bet you get lots of inspiration from the landscapes or it's just nice to get away from home and all.

    I'll have to read that Willa Cather book. I don't believe I've read much from her outside of what may have been assigned in school. I know when I was reading Steinbeck and Orwell for school I didn't appreciate it but reading it again 10+ years later...brilliant!

    In regards to one of the alternate questions posed (#3) I would want Zoe Saldana to play me. We look nothing alike but she's proven to be a much better actress than I originally anticipated and from what I saw in some movies like the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" remake. I think she could capture the dichotomy of my personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just saying hello from the Campaign. Look forward to getting to know you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the castle. Always wished I lived in a country where I could explore them. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Donna

    My Life. One Story at a Time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this. I'm here for the Platform Building Campaign and look forward to getting to know you and your work. ~Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the collage! I used to do that, as well. Hmm, maybe it's time to pick that back up.

    ReplyDelete